Monday, June 11, 2007

painting in a vacuum

Recently I heard someone refer to making paintings and living in the often isolated world of Taos as "painting in a vacuum". This may be a bit extreme (I saw the Diebenkorn exhibit this past weekend at the Harwood), but I think choosing Taos as place to live has been necessary in my development as an artist. The term "individuation" is used often in reference to the period of one's life which involves rebelling against the influence of parents in search of an individual voice. It may even be a sign of intelligence as children who don't exhibit these characteristic often reach adulthood with little or no drive to be anything other than "employable". As an artist, I've found training and the advice of older artists to be invaluable but the day came when I had to largely ignore the art world especially that which relates to academia in order to make work with meaning for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Last night after announcing that I will soon be renting a studio space, a new acquaintance that is well traveled, versed in art and a tour guide at a local museum said “Don’t get into art there is no money in it.” I thought to myself I am not doing it for money, I am doing it for me. Hence the culture in which we live that worships money.