Monday, June 11, 2007

To all the books I never read?

Since when did reading become the most valued means of ingesting new information? I was asked in an interview what I've been reading (reading material related to the art world). I couldn't help but notice that it was frowned upon that I haven't been reading anything art related. Is that bad? Apparently, at least to some. I read art reviews in Mags such as "Art in America" when I want to get frustrated. My perception is that reading reviews about art provides a very small window into the plane of creativity here on earth. I guess if you're interested in who's buying what in Chelsea, art mags are a great place to start, but as a person devoted to making art, I must follow my inspiration and have yet to be inspired to make it to the end of an art review in some art mag reveared by many associated with art business as a very relevant source of information. I may change my mind about this as all of my opinions are subject to change as new information arrives. Of course, I don't see the info arriving at the opinion center of my brain via the pages of some art mag. Recently, I applied to a residency in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.

I don't want to come across as someone who thinks that writing about art has no relevance, because I think it does. What I'm thinking and am saying is that much can be learned from the world that may or may not have every been written about or even put into words.

No comments: